Total Pageviews

Saturday 19 February 2011

Pastries and Pies!

















Welcome everyone to my first blog post of the year! I have decided to FINALLY devote a blog to my undying love and enthusiasm for FOOD.

Today I discovered a hidden gem ...a truly delectable and positively sinful bakery - but entirely worth it!

The name: Duchess Bake Shop (124 st. and 107 ave. Edmonton, AB, Canada) http://duchessbakeshop.com/about/

What I ordered (see photos): Lemon Madelines, Lavender Madelines, Florentines, Croissants, Lemon Meringe Cake and a Lemon Cream Tart.

The ratings and review:
The Florentines (bottom photo, round cookie) were by far the BEST pastry I've had in a LONG time - they had a soft, light and airy crust, and a sweet, DELECTABLY caramel and nutty topping - 10/10!

The Madelines (small, shell-shaped mini French sponge cakes) came in two varieties, lemon and lavender. The lemon ones (bottom - yellow cake in background) were DELICIOUS and lemony, and tasted HOME MADE! I give it 8/10. The lavenders (bottom, next to lemon) were a unique and distinct flavor - they tasted just like lavender smells...but still a bit odd for my palette (6/10).

The Lemon Meringe Cake (top, second from left) displayed its beauty in many ways - it was a lovely spin on an old classic, but I prefer it to the pie version. Also - convenient that it came in a regular 8" cake size, as well as an individual 4" cake. This was my favorite treat of the day - 11/10.

The Lemon Cream Tart (top left) left something to be desired. It was great if you like the taste of custard - but as I am not a fan of eggs, I did not enjoy it (6/10).

And finally, the REAL disappointment. I had high expections of everything I tried from this bakery, perhaps that is what let me down when I took a bite of their over-priced croissants. For $1.75, they tasted like your average, grocery-store variety. Unfortunate! (4/10)

The verdict: Overall, I would give this bakery a 8/10. The location was easy to find, the customer service was AMAZING (everyone was smiling and extremely helpful, despite the busy shop), I was impressed with almost everything I tried, and there were spots to sit down and have coffee and a chat! The only negative was the price - a bit expensive...BUT, ALL ingredients were fresh and everything is baked daily.

Highly recommended for a birthday or special occasion!

4 comments:

Nav said...

yay for this bakery! I am excited to visit now =) congrats on the new blog! im a follower now!

bd said...

=) now i want some dessert!

Anonymous said...

Great post! Awesome photos. Awaiting more posts :)

Naaz said...

oh, and I LOVE THE TITLE!!! haha