Total Pageviews

Monday 4 April 2011

Fancy a Drink?

...How about MILK?!


Hello all! Today's post features a couple of interesting websites about my favorite food group - DAIRY.

#1. Never. Stop. Milk. (http://www.neverstopmilk.ca/milk)

The above site is devoted to giving you USEFUL information about milk and dispelling many myths about the yummy moo juice. There are also a number of youth-friendly recipes (appetizers, drinks, desserts, etc.), and the site is fun to browse!

Here are the top three facts I learned about milk from it:

1. Drinking milk is NOT fattening (unless of course you decide to drink whole milk everyday).

2. Milk is a GREAT source of ENERGY!

3. Milk is an awesome and REFRESHING post-workout beverage (I LOVE chocolate milk - it gives me some protein and that boost of energy I need after exercise. Get the facts HERE>>> http://www.rechargewithmilk.ca/get-the-facts.php#fact-1).

#2. Get Enough. (http://www.dairygoodness.ca/)

This site has TONS of useful facts about milk, including recommended serving sizes. There are lots of yummy recipes here - everything from soups and sides to drinks.

Here's what I learned:

1. Adults from 19-50 (MOI) need at LEAST 2 servings of milk and alternatives DAILY.

2. One "serving" can include...

-1 cup of ANY flavor milk (this includes chocolate milk - I like to flavor mine with MILO - you can drink it hot or cold...it has LESS sugar than Nesquik or Ovaltine per serving!)

-50 g (1.5 oz) cheese (my current favorite is Laughing Cow - the light version has LESS fat and calories than Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese per serving - snack ideas coming up!)

-200 ml (1 bottle) yogurt drink - YOP IS AN EXCELLENT AND TASTY ONE that I highly recommend!!! Flavors include strawberry, raspberry, blueberry (all of which I've tried and LOVE).

-175 g (3/4 cup) YOGURT - see my Healthy Snack Idea #1 post for my tip on how to enjoy it!

For more specific questions, the dairy goodness site also has a "ask our dietitian" link.

All in all, two very useful and worthwhile sites to check out. Don't know about you...but I suddenly feel a craving for milk coming on!

Happy drinking!

No comments: